Mango Chipotle Quinoa Bowl
Let’s start off the new year with a healthy and delicious quinoa bowl!
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa 100 gr, rinse with warm water
1 cup water + more for rinsing
40 gr pumpkin seeds
1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 + 1/8 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp smoky paprika
0,5-1 can black beans rinsed under running water
1/2 red onion chopped
1 mango chopped
2 cups spinach chopped, around 90gr
2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
1 avocado sliced and diced
Lime Chicken (Optional)
2 chicken filets chopped
1 lime, juice
1/2 tsp smoky paprika
salt and pepper to taste
Chipotle Dressing Ingredients
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce
2 tsp adobo sauce
1/2 lime, juice
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
15 stems cilantro roughly chopped
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 160C (325F).
- Then begin with the quinoa. Remember to wash the quinoa in warm water to remove excess starch before cooking. Boil water and add in the quinoa, simmer for 13 minutes-ish, uncovered. All the water shall be absorbed. Fluff up the quinoa with a fork, remove from heat and let it rest covered for 5 minutes to dry it out more. Place the quinoa in a bowl or a plate and place in the refrigerator. We want cold quinoa.
- While the quinoa is cooking, begin with the chicken. Chop the chicken into bite sized pieces, pan fry them in a little olive oil, salt, pepper, smoky paprika and juice of 1 lime. Set aside to cool.
- Toss the pumpkin seeds (or pepitas) in olive oil, salt and smoky paprika. Toast them in the oven for around 8 minutes, you want them to be slightly golden and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- For the chipotle dressing: Add all the ingredients apart from the olive oil into a blender. With the blender on, slowly pour in the olive oil. This prevents it from separating. Process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad ingredients. The chopped mango, spinach, black beans, cilantro, onion, pumpkin seeds and a little salt. Drizzle with the chipotle dressing.
Gratitude and appreciation to Ginger with Spice for sharing her recipe.
**All words and pictures courtesy of Ginger with Spice.